Thursday, April 5, 2012

Sweet Potato and Quinoa Falafel





So due to an over abundance of sweet potatoes, I decided to poke
around th
e interwebs for some new recipe ideas....In my search I stumbled across a recipe for sweet potato falafel and I LOVE FALAFEL!!!
So Ifigured what the heck. Now naturally I was not satisfied with the found recipe and decide to change it up. For starters it was only sweet potato and spice..this in my mind seemed too mushy. I
like the grit of a falafel. So I decided to try

adding quinoa, and It worked...it added just enough grit, helped hold it together and made it even healthier!! Now because it is not monday yet I took some liberty, and therefore it is not totally vegan. The falafel itself is but of course I felt the need to top it with a yogurt lemon dressing...also I felt the need to serve it with a hot bowl of matzo ball soup!!!!! NOMMNOMMNOMMM MATZO BALL SOUP!
I think I liked the end result..a sweet falafel ball. It my no means changes my love for a good ol fashioned falafel..and honestly I think I prefer the ol fashion to the new fangeled. But I was able to use us my potatoes before the produce delivery man dropped more on my doorstep, literally, while I was pealing the before mentioned sweet potatoes..and it is healthy , so you can't beat that!


RECIPE:

- 2 sweet potatoes
-1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
-1 cup water
-1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
-1 1/2 teaspoon coriander
-1/4 teaspoon turmeric
-3 cloves chopped garlic
-palm full of parsley
-salt and pepper to taste
-1/4 cup whole wheat flour

*preheat oven to 450 degrees
*chop and boil sweet potatoes, drain
*bring 1 cup water to boil, add quinoa and simmer until water is absorbed
*in a bowl mash potatoes, mix in cooked quinoa and flour and mix
*mix in garlic, parsley and spice
*on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, scoop potato mixture with a small scoop or spoon to form falafel balls
*spray with a light coating of cooking spray and bake at 450 for about 20-25 minutes
falafel balls should brown on outside a bit and be crisp to the touch.

****serve in pita with lettuce, tomato, cucumber and whatever else you like!
*

No comments:

Post a Comment